A few weeks ago, I made a few decisions before setting up the project. I picked a name for it, a folder structure, the tools and libraries I want to use etc. And here’s what I’m going for.
For the tools and libraries:
- Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017
- Helix Server (local server)
- Helix P4V Visual Client
- P4VS Plug-in for Visual Studio
- SDL2-2.0.5 
- SDL2_image-2.0.1 (libpng, zlib) 
- SDL2_mixer-2.0.1 
- SDL2_ttf-2.0.14 (FreeType) 
- GIMP 2.8.20
- ScreenToGif 2.7 (to share some visuals)
The project’s name will be “Alpagos”, making it the name of my Visual Studio solution which includes the 2 following VS projects:
- AlpagosEngine, containing the code that is generic enough to be part of the engine
- AlpagosGame, containing the game/prototype specific code
The AlpagosEngine project outputs a static library which is used by the AlpagosGame project to output the executable. Both link to the various SDL libraries mentioned earlier.
I also wrote a couple of scripts. One of those creates an archive containing everything that is necessary to run the game, executable, libraries, data and some documentation. This will help me releasing the versions that I’ll share on this page.
Finally, I started writing and prioritizing a task list that I’ll try to share soon. From now on I’ll share project updates whenever I tackle one of those tasks.
 SDL2 https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php
 SDL2_image https://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/
 SDL2_mixer https://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
 SDL2_ttf https://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/